Welcome to Montaigut castle
A unique castle built on a medieval necropolis
The Castle of Montaigut dominates the “Rougier de Camarès” and is the heart of the Natural Regional Park “Les Grands Causses”. Located near by the famous Roquefort’s cheese, the castle is surrounded by a wonderful sightseeing.
Around the castle : the ecomuseum
Around the castle you will found on your way :
– An exhibition on the plaster industry at Montaigut
– An exhibition about the country life in Aveyron in 1914
– Former agricultural engines and vehicles
– A chapel exhibiting holly small pictures (on appointment)
– Walks on differents themes like plaster or geology
Beneath the castle, we invite you to see the medieval garden, situated near by the “cave de Fontbonne”, actually old source of water, used between the 10th and 12th century.